20210322

"Light in the Darkness"- Melissa Fleming (UN) interviews Jens Kristensen (MINUSMA) - Awake at Night


The United Nations of Earth reporting on this issue: ""Light in the Darkness"- Melissa Fleming (UN) interviews Jens Kristensen (MINUSMA) - Awake at Night"
The topics: "I was at Minustah’s headquarters, Hotel Christopher, and was sitting preparing myself for a meeting the next day, just before five. And there was a shaking rumble as if a large truck was driving by outside [...] I realised it was an earthquake and the shaking stopped, maybe for a couple of seconds. I decided to hide under the table to protect myself against falling debris. There was a very loud noise and the next thing I remember was that I was lying on my back, pitch dark, not a sound. I could not move out of this coffin where I was confined. I had maybe 5cm on each side of my shoulder and about 5-7cm above my nose. I was lying with bent knees so maybe a metre and a half a leg or something like that." It’s been over ten years since Senior Civil Affairs Officer, Jens Kristensen found himself trapped in the earthquake that hit Haiti’s Hotel Christopher. In this episode of Awake at Night, Jens recounts his harrowing experience of being confined in a dark coffin-like space for five days with no water or drink, not knowing when, or if, he would be rescued. He also explains his remarkable decision to return to work after just two days following the rescue knowing that "mentally and physically I was capable and still able to help." Full Episode: https://www.un.org/en/awake-at-night/S3-E22-light-in-the-darkness Screen-shot photo credit: © MINUSMA


Click here for more information, to subscribe to the channel of United Nations or to watch the video on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ahmaud Arbery's killers are asking an appeals court today to overturn their hate crime convictions

For more information, to subscribe to the channel or to watch video on YouTube, click here.

Ad