ASTROCOHORS CLUB Departments
20260818
Devising an end to hunger, with Máximo Torero Cullen | FAO Chief Economist | Awake at Night
Máximo Torero Cullen is one of the world’s leading voices on global hunger and food security. Currently serving as Chief Economist at the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), he uses his economic expertise to work towards the goal of a world where nobody goes to bed hungry. “I have been through many problems in life, which I have learned a lot as an economist. I was in the hyperinflation in Peru. I was in wars in Peru and terrorism... I have been in massive earthquake situations. So I have seen a lot, but I never expected how complex this sector would become.” FAO partners with governments around the world to invest in areas with untapped agricultural potential, transforming lives in rural farming communities. It also works to secure the global food supply during crises such as the pandemic, the war in Ukraine, or the crisis in Strait of Hormuz. In this episode, Máximo Torero Cullen reflects on the process of dampening food price shocks, on investing in sustainable nutrition, and shares why he always trusts the knowledge of farmers. [00:00] Introduction [00:24] An accidental path into economics [02:00] Growing up in Lima and discovering rural Peru [04:45] Using technology, nutrition, and education to transform lives [9:29] Choosing a career in international development [12:06] His journey to FAO [13:48] Investing in rural communities [18:58] The challenge of producing food sustainably [21:00] What keeps Maximo awake at night [24:40] The hidden fragility of food systems [28:40] Hunger crises around the world [31:06] When evidence is ignored [32:17] Life in Rome and family influences [36:39] Closing remarks Listen to more Awake at Night episodes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwoDFQJEq_0b6hu1e8oxsch9W0D7vkNqt #podcast #UnitedNations #AwakeAtNight #FAO #food #hunger #agriculture About Awake at Night Hosted by Melissa Fleming, UN Under-Secretary-General for Global Communications, the podcast ‘Awake at Night’ is an in-depth interview series focusing on remarkable United Nations staff members who dedicate their career to helping people in parts of the world where they have the hardest lives – from war zones and displacement camps to areas hit by disasters and the devastation of climate change.
For more information or to watch video on YouTube, click here!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Devising an end to hunger, with Máximo Torero Cullen | FAO Chief Economist | Awake at Night
Máximo Torero Cullen is one of the world’s leading voices on global hunger and food security. Currently serving as Chief Economist at the U...
No comments:
Post a Comment